Do you have a YouTube channel? In this article, we will look at how you can increase the video views on YouTube, and most importantly, how to increase the watch time of videos.
Retention is one of the most important factors in video ranking. The longer a person watches your video, the more often YouTube offers it in related videos, higher ranks, etc. And from here come more and more views of your videos.
The most important factor is to shoot interesting and engaging content, we will look at 4 more (mostly technical) ways to increase video views on YouTube.
What is The Watch Time of YouTube videos?
Until October 2012, the total number of video views was the most important factor in video ranking. However, when Youtube updated its algorithm, something changed. Now the time watching YouTube videos has become the number one factor.
Watching time (or retaining the audience, as it is commonly called in YouTube analytics) is the total amount of time that viewers spend on watching your videos. Ideally, the video that ranks first in this indicator leads to higher overall number of views.
With the increase in viewing time, YouTube will most likely promote your channel using search and recommended videos, which, in turn, will increase the number of views.
Now that you understand the audience retention metric, let’s look at 4 ways to help increase the total viewing time.
1: Place Your Videos In Playlists in An Interesting Sequence.
Creating playlists for your videos on YouTube is a way to attract viewers to watch a few of your videos.
When you organize your videos in interesting sequences, viewers are more likely to watch your other videos. This ultimately increases the viewing time, giving you a higher rating on YouTube.
If you are using playlists, consider eliminating long intros at the beginning and end of your videos. Viewers do not really want to see it all. Without intros, in fact, it will be even better.
YouTube allows you to link to related videos at the end of each video. To increase the viewing time, give them a link to the playlist. When viewers click on a playlist URL, they are quickly redirected to the entire playlist.
2: Choose Titles And Thumbnails That Vividly Convey The Essence of The Video
The titles and thumbnails of your videos affect your views and video ranking.
They serve as the main trigger for a person to click to see and give a preliminary idea of the content of the video. Choosing the right combination of thumbnails and headers can help you improve your viewing time.
The YouTube Authors Academy offers the following options for creating thumbnails:
- Choose an image that reflects the content of your video. The image must exactly match the video content. If the video is not what the audience expected to see, they are unlikely to watch it to the end.
- The icon should make you want to see the video depends on how expressive the Thumbnail is, whether the viewers want to watch your video. Imagine that a video with a thumbnail of your choice appeared in the search results. Would you watch it yourself?
- Combination of icon and video titleThe icon and title should be chosen in such a way that, in combination, they draw attention to the video and convey its meaning. Even minor changes in their combinations can reflect on the impression that the audience has about the content of the video.
- Make sure the thumbnail look good on all screen sizes. Viewers will not only watch your videos on a computer: 50% of all YouTube views come from smartphones. Check how good the thumbnail looks on the big and small screen.
- Rate the effectiveness of your badges. You can find out how effective the thumbnails are from YouTube Analytics. If the viewing rates of some videos are low, try changing their thumbnails.
Your preview, title, and description should give potential viewers a good reason to watch your video, and not someone else’s.
3: Use Short Intros In Your Videos
You can use the final screensavers in several ways, but the best tactic for attracting viewers is to use them to link to other content on your YouTube channel, which is likely to be interesting for viewers.
For example, on my channel, I use recommendations for viewing other similar videos and playlists.
4: Making Videos Based on Long-Tail Keywords
Focusing on keywords with a long tail will help you get people to watch exactly your video, not the video of competitors.
One way to determine keywords for a video is to use the YouTube offer feature. Open Youtube and type keywords related to your video.
As you type YouTube starts to offer different options. These are not just random sentences. They are based on what users request and want to see. Use these suggestions as themes for your videos.
For example, typing the query “content marketing”, YouTube advises me the following options:
- Content Marketing
- Content Marketing Strategy
- Content Marketing Strategy 2018
- Content Marketing Lecture
Also, check out the competitors’ channels to find out which videos they are uploading and see which keywords they target.
Google and other search engines use their robots to crawl texts and other readable content on the Internet. Search engines track performance, such as website load time, user interface, links, etc.
This process is completely different from YouTube. Since videos are not articles, they are difficult to scan. So, how does YouTube evaluate video quality in order to show viewers only high-quality content?
I think you guessed it. It gives priority to video with a large audience retention.
The inclusion of four tactics higher in your marketing on YouTube will help increase the video views on YouTube and, in turn, your ranking indicators.
If you are not able to increase views of YouTube even by following these 4 ways, you can also buy YouTube views from different services. Famoid.com is offering such service. You can get real YouTube Views easily by buying their service.